Image Critique / Feedback

Public Group active %s

This group is for serious critiquing and providing inputs on the images. Rules for posting:
1. Only 1 image in 3 days and provide full exif information of image
2. Try doing a self critique of images on what you liked and what could have been improved.
3. Ask for specific inputs
4. Please do comment / provide inputs on others pics.

Group Admins
  • Profile picture of Sudhir Shivaram
    • I clicked this image in one of the national parks in the US with a Sony 100-400mm lens. I tried my best to get lower to the eye level of the Elk but still couldn’t get a creamy bokeh in the background may be because of the limitation of the lens or distance from the subject. Thus I decided to desaturate the colors so that the main subject — the Elk, could get more visual attention. I would like to know if this experimentation here works somewhat or did I take too much liberty in post-processing a wildlife image. Thank you!

• Forgot to add Exif Info – 400mm | 1/400s handheld | ISO 2000 | f/5.6

• This image of a Bearded-Bee-Eater was shot in May of this year in the Tala zone of Bandhavgarh TR.
    What I liked-
    1.The colours
    2.Posture of the bird
    3.The fact that the background is nicely blurred
    4.The basic fundamentals (iso, shutter speed, catch light etc)

What I didn’t like-
    1.The brown bark of the trees in the BG, they create distractions
    2.The white spot above the bird.

EXIF
    Camera Body- Nikon D4s, Lens- Nikkor 200-500 @f5.6 nad 390mm 1/8000s shutter speed( it was flying and perched for one moment) iso-6400 shot on the 30th of May 2019

• Egret bird taking a morning walk. Taken with Canon 7d markii& 300mm f4L IS. f4.0,ISO160, shutter speed 1/1000. The golden colour of dried grass adds a magic to the picture. Comments/feed back are welcome.
      • Malabar pied hornbill shot by NiKon D500, at 600 mm by Sigma 60-600 Lens, ISO 1250, 1/1250, spot metering. Though the light was good, I feel there are grains and not very sharp image. The branch is an obstruction here but since the direction was such couldnt help. The eyes are clear though and I have the cropped the picture also. Sir… My question is 1. How to get sharper image in such cases and 2. Can more editing can be done to make the pic more appealing.

• taken at f/8

• I m beginner constructive criticism welcome……to learn and improve
      • As a first step, do critique your own photo and tell what you liked in the photo, what was your objective, do you think you were successful in achieving your objective? What kind of inputs are you seeking from the community?
        • Hi Sudhir, Bar Headed Goose in flight : Nikon D7100, Nikon 55-300, @300mm, f5.6, 1/1600, ISO400 : This is handheld with 55-300 @300mm. This was shot from a small boat at Bhgwan but was sufficiently still in water. I had waited to see this feathers formation when these beauties land and tried to chose one when its neck/neak/eyes came out of that shape. My problem with this – 1. in flight – not tack sharp as wished (is it due to shooting at full 300mm and the object was a little far say around 20metres) 2. shutter speed – is it sufficient (1/1600) 3.the colours – contrast – did not get that beautiful as it seemed to naked eye 4. missing wow factor – what could have been ? the sky was dull and had no clouds or any effect , also the horizontal separation line. what can be done ? is crop the only solution ? Please let me know what could have been achieved and is missed and must be improved.

• Amit, Let me be honest with you here. 55-300 is not a great lens for bird photography. To get decent images from this combination you need to be pretty close to the subjects. Also pls check and ensure you are not using a UV filter. That degrades the image quality.

Shutter speed you have used is decent enough, no issues there.

• What can improve here
          From my view got fundamental right..Had head turn eye catch..Bushes are distracting but that’s jungle can’t help
          . Please share your views

• this is nice. may be only a little more sharper eyes and cooler background would have been best suited.
            • I loved the pose and the eye contact, but in my opinion, I think that you have used the incorrect Exposure Compensation.
              • Dear Prakash,

When you post an image for feedback, please provide as much information as possible about the image and also do a self critique.

What did you like about the image?
                what is it that you wanted the viewers to see?
                Are you happy with the composition?
                What could have been improved?

Do let me know and I will share my inputs.

• This is a crown crested honey buzzard, clicked in Tadoba. Was high on the tree. We were in the jeep, this is best angle I got.
                Exif : Canon 500D, 55-250mm lens at 240mm focal length, f/5.6, 1/200 sec, ISO400, manual mode, auto white balance.
                Query :
                1. When in such a situation where the bird is high up on the tree, what is the best angle to take (when unable to reach eye level) ?
                2. Also how do we get better backgrounds /composition ( in this case I think its a bit overexposed).
                3. While I could get the catch-light in the eye, the sharpness is not great of the body.
                • You should never get under the bird to shoot. Always shoot from far to get a better perspective. Of course that is not possible from a 55-250 lens. To get a better background you will have to change your angle of shot…sometimes there is nothing you can do about it and have to let go of the shot.
                • I want to know what went wrong with the shooting that the sharpness is not at all achieved in the picture I am posting !! It was handheld photography, but still i made sure that my hands are supported on my knees and held my breath. I was sure that I controlled the camera shake because i was able to precisely keep the auto focusing point on the subject and maintain the same. Despite trying out everything I did not get the sharpness that is appealing. Is it the problem with my lens or my shooting technique ?

Please provide your feedback. I am posting here the screenshot just to show the autofocusing points available in my camera and what I have used. The cropped image is the 100% zoom of the image. The details of the camera and lens are given below. Exif is in the image itself.

Canon 1300D | Canon EF 70-300mm IS lens

• First basic question, did you use a UV filter for this lens? If yes, that is the first issue with lack of sharpness.

Now coming to the image itself.
                    – The subject is quite far in the frame.
                    – Hardly occupies around 10% of the frame.
                    – It’s a 1300D camera with the 70-300 lens (not a very sharp lens)

The 3 factors above are good enough not to get you a very sharp image for this image. Do not expect to get crisp sharp image when the subject is so far and you zoom in this much. Given the situation, what you have got is quite decent.

Rgds,
                    Sudhir

• Thank you for your feedback. I am not using UV filters. I am a strict follower of your advice.

Actually I am doubting my lens capability as well and thought of taking it to Canon store for replacement. Having bought that for quite a money compared to 55-250mm lens, I was expecting some better sharpness and when the same is not achieved, I am getting discouraged. I start doubting my technique as well, if I am missing something !!

• Aditya Desai posted an update in the group Group logo of Image Critique / FeedbackImage Critique / Feedback 3 months ago

This image is shot on Nikon d500 with 300 mm pf ed lense, 1.4 TC on a very dull day in Kabini. The angle is not great, but this is the best i could get with subject being on opposite side of my seat. also this are the times I hope I am carrying a zoom lens like 70-200/100-400. I have done some post processing experiment to brighten the image. Shutter speed 1/250, F=5.6, Focal length 420mm Iso 800. Shot in aperture priority , handheld.
                      • Aditya, One of the important things in bird photography is to ensure you get eye level shots as much as possible…angle of shooting is very important. Also, check for the background and see if it’s complementing the subject…head turn has to be good…composition wise, need more space around the subject…

Please do go through the composition part in the video tutorials and pay attention to each of the topics…you need to be very critical about all those points and keep that in mind while shooting in the field.

• Thank You for the feedback. Will keep in mind all the points. Enjoy your on field tutorial videos.
                          • If you upload an image to the critiques section, please do ensure to follow the guidelines on asking for feedback.
                            This group is for serious critiquing and providing inputs on the images. Rules for posting:
                            2. Try doing a self critique of images on what you liked and what could have been improved.
                            • If you upload an image to the critiques section, please do ensure to follow the guidelines on asking for feedback.

• Canon EOS 5D Mark IV with Canon EF 70-200mm, Manual Exposure shot 1/1000 sec., f/4 70mm, ISO 100, one AF point, AI Focus, Image quality RAW & JPEG L 6720×4480, no tripod. Please guide me why I could not perceive sharp image. (Blurry once zoom in 25% ++). I am new to EOS 5D Mark IV and learning.

• Appreciate if anyone could help me in this regard
                                [Pic#CH5A1135: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV with Canon EF 70-200mm, Manual Exposure shot 1/1000 sec., f/4 70mm, ISO 100, one AF point, AI Focus, Image quality RAW & JPEG L 6720×4480, no tripod.
                                ## Please guide me why I could not perceive sharp image. (Blurry once zoom in 25% ++). ]
                                • Basic question. Are you using any kind of UV filter for the lens? For the combination you are using, you should get crisp sharp images. UV filter is the only reason I can think off if you are not getting sharp images.
                                  • Yes I am using Marumi 77mm DHG lens filter. Thanks
                                    • Get rid of any UV filter..never use it. It degrades the image quality and does not have any role in digital photography.
                                    • White Cheek Barbet image shot at home in Bangalore using Nikon D 500 with Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200 mm F/2.8 ED VR lens.

Sudhir Sir, kindly give your comment and advise on this image.

Exif: ISO 100 ; F-Stop: f/2.8 ; Exposure time:1/640 sec ; Exposure: -0.3 ; Focal Length: 200 mm ; Metering: Spot.

The twig near the eye is distracting but I could not avoid it. I have also cropped the image slightly to avoid the distractions like semi dried leaves.

• Load More