Image Critique / Feedback

Public Group active %s

This group is for serious critiquing and providing inputs on the images. Rules for posting:
1. Only 1 image in 3 days and provide full exif information of image
2. Try doing a self critique of images on what you liked and what could have been improved.
3. Ask for specific inputs
4. Please do comment / provide inputs on others pics.

Group Admins
  • Profile picture of Sudhir Shivaram
  • This image is shot on Nikon d500 with 300 mm pf ed lense, 1.4 TC on a very dull day in Kabini. The angle is not great, but this is the best i could get with subject being on opposite side of my seat. also this are the times I hope I am carrying a zoom lens like 70-200/100-400. I have done some post processing experiment to brighten the image. Shutter speed 1/250, F=5.6, Focal length 420mm Iso 800. Shot in aperture priority , handheld.
    • If you upload an image to the critiques section, please do ensure to follow the guidelines on asking for feedback.
      This group is for serious critiquing and providing inputs on the images. Rules for posting:
      2. Try doing a self critique of images on what you liked and what could have been improved.
      • If you upload an image to the critiques section, please do ensure to follow the guidelines on asking for feedback.

• Canon EOS 5D Mark IV with Canon EF 70-200mm, Manual Exposure shot 1/1000 sec., f/4 70mm, ISO 100, one AF point, AI Focus, Image quality RAW & JPEG L 6720×4480, no tripod. Please guide me why I could not perceive sharp image. (Blurry once zoom in 25% ++). I am new to EOS 5D Mark IV and learning.

• Appreciate if anyone could help me in this regard
          [Pic#CH5A1135: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV with Canon EF 70-200mm, Manual Exposure shot 1/1000 sec., f/4 70mm, ISO 100, one AF point, AI Focus, Image quality RAW & JPEG L 6720×4480, no tripod.
          ## Please guide me why I could not perceive sharp image. (Blurry once zoom in 25% ++). ]
          • Basic question. Are you using any kind of UV filter for the lens? For the combination you are using, you should get crisp sharp images. UV filter is the only reason I can think off if you are not getting sharp images.
            • Yes I am using Marumi 77mm DHG lens filter. Thanks
              • Get rid of any UV filter..never use it. It degrades the image quality and does not have any role in digital photography.
              • White Cheek Barbet image shot at home in Bangalore using Nikon D 500 with Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200 mm F/2.8 ED VR lens.

Sudhir Sir, kindly give your comment and advise on this image.

Exif: ISO 100 ; F-Stop: f/2.8 ; Exposure time:1/640 sec ; Exposure: -0.3 ; Focal Length: 200 mm ; Metering: Spot.

The twig near the eye is distracting but I could not avoid it. I have also cropped the image slightly to avoid the distractions like semi dried leaves.

• Use nikon d5300 with 55-200mm, aperture priority mode, f 4.5, s-1/250.
                I like the eye contact but the front one is disturbing.. Also not able to crop t image.. Because t elephants are too close..
                • a red-and-black froghopper shot with a macro lens at the styrian (austrian) mountains

Pentax K5II APSC-Camera | Pentax 100mm 2.8 macro lens
                  F5 | 1/250sec | ISO 800

• Nikon D500 with AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E lens
                  Exif : Focal Length : 200 mm ; ISO : 100 ; Aperture : f/2.8 ; Exposure time : 1/800 Sec ; EV : – 0.7 ; Metering : Spot.

Sudhr Sir, this image is original one. I have just converted from NEF to Jpeg without doing any post processing.

I am aware that we are required to post only one image at a time. I will delete one of these images as soon I receive your advise on the images.

• The background is too distracting. Also, it’s ok, keep the other image as it’s in reference to this.

Things which does not work for me:
                    – On the wire – would love to see a natural perch.
                    – The young one’s eyes are not clearly seen…the eye contact is missing
                    – Mainly the background – those greens are heavily distracting and there is no separation of the main subject from the background.

Hope that helps.

• Sir, you are an expert and Thank You very very much for your time and most valuable advise.

The only problem that I always face is that these actions happens suddenly and it is the matter of seconds. Don’t know how to overcome this issue.

• Any of these actions are associated with their behavioural aspects. So, it’s more about studying their behaviour and planning your shots. You need to spend more time making notes (mentally) and understanding about the animals / birds to be a better photographer.
                        • I like the sharpness of the image. May be you have worked out on colours in post processing
                        • Nikon D500 with AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E lens
                          Exif : Focal Length : 200 mm ; ISO : 100 ; Aperture : f/2.8 ; Exposure time : 1/800 Sec ; EV : – 0.7 ; Metering : Spot.

Sudhr Sir, I have cropped the image and I feel that the black background is not complementing the image. Kindly give your expert advise on this image.

• Dear Amit,

This particular group is for serious critique / feedback and learning. If you intend to receive feedback on your pics, then please do follow the guidelines of the group.

– I hope you have gone through the various chapters of Basic and Advanced photography tutorial, especially the composition chapters.
                            – What is your opinion on this pic.
                            – Do a self critique of he pic thinking that it is someone else pic.
                            – What kind of feedback are you expecting from the viewers.
                            – What did you intend to convey to the viewers through this image. Were you successful?
                            – Why did you chose the specific setting of the camera?

Image critique is a serious task and more info you give, the better it is for us to provide feedback.

Rgds,
                            Sudhir

• Hello All, new to the forum. Took this photo with Canon600d + canon 300mm f4l is usm. F8.0, iso 640, @1/250.
                            I composed it with subject @ left n leaving some space to right side but there was a small branch which was spoiling the look so had to crop it. But still the branch behind the bird is still a spoiler and can’t rid of it. May be using f4.0 would have made the subject stand out more? Any suggestions or feedback are welcome.
                            • Hi Vijay,

Welcome to the group.
                              Your self critique is correct…these kind of images, just let go…do go through the various aspects of composition and see what should be done. Distractions should be avoided…and you need a complementary background…aim for that.

Rgds,
                              Sudhir

• Load More